If you are traveling to Russia, it is recommended to buy a mobile phone SIM (or eSIM) card to have an Internet connection anywhere and at an affordable price.
If you use your regular phone number in Russia, your Internet bill will be very expensive, which is why it is highly recommended to purchase a SIM or eSIM card.
To purchase an eSIM, the best option is Holafly, a company with which you can buy an eSIM card online with coverage throughout Russia and with unlimited data. Please note that your mobile phone must be compatible with the eSIM option.
The cost varies depending on the duration of the eSIM. For example, 7 days with unlimited data in Russia costs 27 euros/dollars. You can check the prices on this link.
Holafly eSIM features:
- It includes unlimited data so you can use any application during your trip to Russia. You forget about roaming and searching for public WiFi networks.
- As soon as you make the purchase, you receive a QR code so you can connect instantly. Activate the eSIM when you land.
- 24-hour support via email, chat and WhatsApp.
- With this eSIM you keep your number on WhatsApp or Telegram to call and write to all your contacts, friends or family. Note that Russian eSIM plans are data only eSIM plans. They do not include a local number. However, you can continue to use your regular phone number and make calls via FaceTime, WhatsApp or Telegram.
- Stable coverage in cities such as Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kazan or Vladivostok and throughout the Russian territory. Ideal if you are going on a tourist trip to Russia or if you are going to take the Trans-Siberian route, although keep in mind that in mountainous or desert areas network coverage may decrease.